    From: automaticidentification@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: end of Symbol

    The end of Symbol as an independent company is a big deal for those of us who have respected, feared and sometimes cursed the IP rich company for its influence on the auto ID community. What does this
    mean?
    for sure it is uncertainty in the auto ID channel (I’ve been a major importer of bar code products into Europe)
    Psion’s take over of Teklogix, Intermec’s of Norand and UBI, let alone the PSC Spectra Physics bankruptcy tell a story for those who remember.

    This must be great news for Metrologic,
    probably positive for Intermec, and good news
    for the auto ID sector as a whole.

    Worrying for those with complementary product offerings who have partnered heavily with Symbol such as Zebra. Symbol distributors and
    VARs will have an interesting time ahead.

    If Motorola can put its manufacturing muscle behind Symbol’s end client sectoral market expertise they can prosper. Whether they can manage it remains to be seen.

    It remains the case that the money is being made with bar code rather than RF-ID despite the fact all the media is interested in is RF-ID

    Richard Lucas

Newsletters

StorefrontBacktalk delivers the latest retail technology news & analysis. Join more than 60,000 retail IT leaders who subscribe to our free weekly email. Sign up today!

Most Recent Comments

Why Did Gonzales Hackers Like European Cards So Much Better?

I am still unclear about the core point here-- why higher value of European cards. Supply and demand, yes, makes sense. But the fact that the cards were chip and pin (EMV) should make them less valuable because that demonstrably reduces the ability to use them fraudulently. Did the author mean that the chip and pin cards could be used in a country where EMV is not implemented--the US--and this mis-match make it easier to us them since the issuing banks may not have as robust anti-fraud controls as non-EMV banks because they assumed EMV would do the fraud prevention for them Read more...
Two possible reasons that I can think of and have seen in the past - 1) Cards issued by European banks when used online cross border don't usually support AVS checks. So, when a European card is used with a billing address that's in the US, an ecom merchant wouldn't necessarily know that the shipping zip code doesn't match the billing code. 2) Also, in offline chip countries the card determines whether or not a transaction is approved, not the issuer. In my experience, European issuers haven't developed the same checks on authorization requests as US issuers. So, these cards might be more valuable because they are more likely to get approved. Read more...
A smart card slot in terminals doesn't mean there is a reader or that the reader is activated. Then, activated reader or not, the U.S. processors don't have apps certified or ready to load into those terminals to accept and process smart card transactions just yet. Don't get your card(t) before the terminal (horse). Read more...
The marketplace does speak. More fraud capacity translates to higher value for the stolen data. Because nearly 100% of all US transactions are authorized online in real time, we have less fraud regardless of whether the card is Magstripe only or chip and PIn. Hence, $10 prices for US cards vs $25 for the European counterparts. Read more...
@David True. The European cards have both an EMV chip AND a mag stripe. Europeans may generally use the chip for their transactions, but the insecure stripe remains vulnerable to skimming, whether it be from a false front on an ATM or a dishonest waiter with a handheld skimmer. If their stripe is skimmed, the track data can still be cloned and used fraudulently in the United States. If European banks only detect fraud from 9-5 GMT, that might explain why American criminals prefer them over American bank issued cards, who have fraud detection in place 24x7. Read more...

StorefrontBacktalk
Our apologies. Due to legal and security copyright issues, we can't facilitate the printing of Premium Content. If you absolutely need a hard copy, please contact customer service.